Using Konqueror for FTP (was Re: GNOME vs. KDE)

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed Dec 14 13:37:00 MST 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:57, Jason Hayes wrote:
> Ric is correct,
>
> The proper formation of the ftp URL will look like this
>
> ftp://yourusername:yourpassword@tigerflag.com  or
>
> ftp://yourusername:yourpassword@ftp.tigerflag.com
>
> Konqueror then truncates the password and turns it into the format that
> Ric used.
>
> One other thing you can check is that your username may be
> "username at tigerflag.com". Some hosting accounts require you to add the
> domain name as well because they host several accounts on one server and
> need the domain name to figure out what directory they are sending ftp
> requests to.

Adding the domain to the username is indeed very common with hosting
providers.  I don't think I've used one that didn't do it.  In that case, you
need to encode the @ symbol:

ftp://kurt%40myhost.com@myhost.com

This would set the username to 'kurt at myhost.com'.

On a related topic, if tigerflag.com allows SSH access, then using 'fish'
instead of 'ftp' is another option.  Just 'fish://tigerflag.com' would pop up
a dialog for username and password (the same used to ssh in) and from then
on, you can interact with all the remote files as if they were local.

Kurt