New Mandriva 2006 install has no GUI

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Dec 6 17:35:59 MST 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Josef Lowder wrote:

> Finally got Mandriva 2006 installed, but get only a text
> access, no GUI.
>
> When I try 'startx' I get "Fatal server error" and "no screens found"
>
> Don't know what this all means, but the message I see also includes
> the following:
>
> freedesktop.org/Software/xorg
> Xwindows version 6.8.99.900 (6.9.0 RC)
> release 1 Aug 05

Have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It might give you more clues on what
needs to be manually configured.

Interesting to note that the Mandriva ships with an Xorg version that has
not even been officially released yet. (I have been using it on my NetBSD
boxes though built from source.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 Media Relations and Publishing Services
 	  	 	 http://www.reedmedia.net/