New Mandriva 2006 install has no GUI

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Tue Dec 6 16:31:34 MST 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 16:00, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Finally got Mandriva 2006 installed, but get only a text
> access, no GUI.
>
> When I try 'startx' I get "Fatal server error" and "no screens found"
>
> Don't know what this all means, but the message I see also includes
> the following:
>
> freedesktop.org/Software/xorg
> Xwindows version 6.8.99.900 (6.9.0 RC)
> release 1 Aug 05
> Xprotocol version II, revision 0 release 6.8.99.900
> OS Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp i686 #1 Friday September 9, 2005
> Build Sep 16
> check wiki.x.org
> user config /etc/x11/xorg.conf
>
> What do I need to do to get a GUI display?

Joe,

You got that message because Mandriva can't ID your video card or it IDed it
wrong and you didn't correct it during the install.  (I'm assuming here, like
SUSE, Mandriva shows a screen during install showing you what it's found and
giving you the option to change it)

You can probable correct this by running harddrake (if it is still called
that) at the command line or running xorgsetup as root on the commandline
*might* work as well.

The InstallFest is this weekend.  Can you bring the computer down?

Dennisk