Need some Backup Help

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 3 17:42:38 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 15:32 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Craig is correct in that a files backup (the best you can do with a file share) will not permit a bare-metal restore.
>
> That said, if you do need a files backup, then what you need to do is use the admin share.
>
> Every drive in Windows is shared by default, and there's very little you can do to prevent it (One of the barn-door security holes in Windows).
> If you can connect with an ID that has administrative rights, then you can use\\Server\\C$ for the C drive or \\Server\\D$ for the D drive, etc...
>
> This only works for partitions mounted with a drive letter, but most Windows users don't use multiple partitions, much less filesystem mounts.

----
I guess we didn't really fully clarify the issue.

You can back up c:\windows from an WinXP system, but it's going to be
somewhat worthless because you won't be able to restore it or much of
anything worthwhile unless you do some type of backup that permits a
'bare metal' type of restore (i.e. boot system from CD, restore
partitions and contents from backup and reboot from restored system).

Craig