Need some Backup Help

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Sat Dec 3 15:32:14 MST 2005

Craig is correct in that a files backup (the best you can do with a file share) will not permit a bare-metal restore.

That said, if you do need a files backup, then what you need to do is use the admin share.

Every drive in Windows is shared by default, and there's very little you can do to prevent it (One of the barn-door security holes in Windows).
If you can connect with an ID that has administrative rights, then you can use\\Server\\C$ for the C drive or \\Server\\D$ for the D drive, etc...

This only works for partitions mounted with a drive letter, but most Windows users don't use multiple partitions, much less filesystem mounts.

==Joseph++