Why do I use Linux?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:12:48 MST 2005

I'm in the (not-so?) unique position of having to balance the two
worlds on the pin-end of a needle.  At least it feels that way.
Our shop was a Linux-based shop when I started with 1 PDC and 2 BDC
(for the desktops, both office and remote site).

To keep a long story short, we *almost* were purely linux in the
server room but now we're Win2K3 Active Directory, with MS-DNS. (for
now, until this weekend)  So, the Linux world of our business has to
interoperate flawlessly with the MS world to keep business flowing.

The MS bubble in our office keeps flucuating bigger and smaller,
almost like a cancerous cyst.  The worst part is that I know we can't
remove the cyst because it would kill the patient in this case.
(Exchange is really necessary, and Helpdesk/PC Support utilizes a lot
of Active Directories features now)
So, now that we've shifted up a gear, and are doing the
Active-Directory-catch-up (so to speak) with Samba, it's time to
contemplate going from a neutral base of co-existing to a possible
usurp yet again.

It's almost a never-ending cycle, whether your on the desktop or the
server.... *in best Napoleon Dynamite voice* GOD!

--Dan