Why do I use Linux?

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 10:58:53 MST 2005

--- Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:

> Another thing I like: Linux does not treat you like
> a criminal!  You
> don't have to "activate" on-line to have the
> privilege of using software
> you already paid for.  These days, you don't seem to
> ever even get a
> Windows CD with a system any more - you might be
> tempted to install it
> on another machine, or - horrors! - resell it when
> your machine is
> scrapped.
>
> Linux also doesn't try to keep you from using your
> own property.  For
> example, my sister has an HP running XP, and its
> hard drive has been
> giving her messages about imminent failure.  I
> installed a new drive and
> copied everything over using "dd", set all the
> flags, etc., and the
> danged thing still won't boot from the new drive.  I
> suspect it's some
> sort of anti-piracy thing.
>
> Vaughn

Yeah, friend bought a new 'puter and needs XP for her
work at home thing. Her employer requires XP.

The machine crashed for some hardware problem(s)
twice. Runs fine now, BUT, she had to sit for a total
of almost 3hrs total on the phone with 'the redmond
monster' to get the ability to run the software more
than 29 days.  She also had to explain to 'the
monster' that yes, it is a different motherboard that
is now in the same machine box!!

They do track that believe it or not.

That is why I wont install XP (extra problems) ever.

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.