Fedora beating me down... any distro suggestions?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 29 11:59:00 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 09:11 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
>  Let me say first, I like Fedora if only for the fact
> I've learned a lot getting it working on my laptop.
>
>  I'd like a distro that will run well on my hp z5440
> laptop, and is easy to update, and makes a good
> desktop for non-techies. This weekend I went to
> moviefone.com to check previews for some movies and it
> wouldn't play any even though I have the mplayer
> plugin installed in firefox. I don't mind solving
> problems; actually I kinda like it. I just want to do
> it all the time.
>
>  I'm thinking of Mepis or Ubuntu or OpenSuSe.
> Whichever I choose for the laptop may end up going on
> the desktop also. Any opinions?
----
I think that when it's all said and done, it's hard to do better than
fedora for cutting edge support of hardware and software.

That being said, using mplayer with various microsoft/apple/realplayer
codecs is likely to be a poor indicator of distribution support since
all of them require support for non-gpl software and have to be
installed post original install.

You don't say which fedora you are using or where/how you obtained
mplayer and the various codecs and stuff that are installed so I
personally can't be of much help to your situation.

I do think that it would be a good idea for you to try installing the
various distributions and reporting back your impression of each as they
would represent your impressions.

Craig