Fedora beating me down... any distro suggestions?

June Tate june at theonelab.com
Mon Aug 29 11:35:36 MST 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:11:43AM -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
>  Let me say first, I like Fedora if only for the fact
> I've learned a lot getting it working on my laptop.
>
>  I'd like a distro that will run well on my hp z5440
> laptop, and is easy to update, and makes a good
> desktop for non-techies. This weekend I went to
> moviefone.com to check previews for some movies and it
> wouldn't play any even though I have the mplayer
> plugin installed in firefox. I don't mind solving
> problems; actually I kinda like it. I just want to do
> it all the time.

I have a similar laptop -- an HP ze4315us -- and have installed Ubuntu
with no problems (aside from brain-damaged hardware). By far, I've
found Ubuntu to be a cut above most distributions out there with
regards to stability, ugpradability and usability. Since it's based on
Debian, upgrading and maintaining it is simple -- just apt-get update,
apt-get dist-upgrade -u every once in a while, or just let the Ubutnu
updater do all the heavy lifting for you. =o)

June Tate * http://www.theonelab.com * june at theonelab.com