GUI apt-get

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Aug 25 00:21:57 MST 2005

Am 24. Aug, 2005 schwätzte Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu so:

> 1) I am thinking of installing Ubuntu (it's deb based anyway ;)

Yeah, Ubuntu is fine. LinSpire is also debian-based. That isn't
sufficient. LinSpire insists on using root as the user login :(. Ubuntu
handles root perms via sudo, As It Should Be [TM].

> 2) LinSpire does come with it's own system, if your willing to py $20 for a
> subscription that lets you install OO.or 1.1 or other open apps...

You also get support for that, right? Consider the support options since
you're not near him. Or consider getting familiar with a LUG near him :).

> 3) Good call on the SSH, it's easyer to camandline into his box then tell him
> how to do it :)

And if you find things that a significantly difficult to do please file
bugs. A desktop system shouldn't be hard to maintain.

ciao,

der.hans
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw