GUI apt-get

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Aug 24 20:50:01 MST 2005

Am 24. Aug, 2005 schwätzte Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu so:

> Ok, I purchased a cheep desktop for my dad, and it comes with LindSiper pre
> installed.  I need to get some stuff on thier, like OpenOffice.or 2.0 (Ok 1.9+
> Beta), the latest firefox with a bunch of plugins, VMWare, etc.
>
> What I need is
> 1) how do I set the apt-get repositories in LindSpire

Dunno. I fix LinSpire the same way I fix most every other system, I
install debian :).

I thought LinSpire came setup for downloads, though. It does require
signing up for service. I think some period of time is no cost, but they
still want a credit card number.

> 2) where can I get a GUI front end?

synaptic is the GUI apt tool I've been using.

> 3) any sugestions on configuring a machine for a first time linux user who lives
> 1000 miles away?

Get ssh daemon running and get him on decent bandwidth. The rest can be
conquered with time, patience and research.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Molotov Bible - religion thrown at other people in order to cause an
#  explosive situation - der.hans