Moving to Gigabit Ethernet

David Demland demland at cox.net
Wed Aug 3 10:29:30 MST 2005

Craig,

To make this work, make sure the wall has CAT5e in it. If there is no CAT5e,
then Gigabit can not be done. CAT5 is not rated for Gigabit. Then ensure
that all 8 wires are connected at the wall outlet and the patch panel.
Gigabit will work over CAT5e only when Full-Duplex can be done. To achieve
Full-Duplex on 100 Mbps and Gigabit all 8 wires are used. This also has
another advantage, it removes all collision domains thus it allows for
better throughput on your network. We just wired one of customers for this
about four weeks ago so I know that this works.

David