Moving to Gigabit Ethernet

slegge at govliquidation.com slegge at govliquidation.com
Wed Aug 3 10:16:21 MST 2005

The existing wiring should be sufficient. I can HIGHLY recommend the HP
procurve 2824 or the 2848. They are GREAT price to performance and they
arent over subscribed like some switches (*cough* cisco *hack*) in the
same price range.

-Scott

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
Sent by: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08/03/2005 09:56 AM
Please respond to
Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>

Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
cc

Subject
Moving to Gigabit Ethernet

Have a client with approximately 45 workstations.

Office is wired for Cat 5

Links such as http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2000/1016tech.html
suggest that it may be possible to run Gigabit ethernet on the existing
wiring (perhaps I need to rewire the ends with Cat 5e or Cat 6
connectors).

Has anyone done this type of thing with success?

What type/brand/model switches did you use?

Anything I should be considering?

Craig