Good Old ASCII?

Sat, 31 May 2003 02:26:07 -0700 (MST)

Am 30. May, 2003 schw=E4tzte Ed Skinner so:

>     I want "plain old ASCII" man-page output for cutting and pasting into
> other documents. I know how to remove the overstrikes:
>          man bootparam | col -b > splat.txt
>     But splat.txt has three-byte codes for some of the punctuation. For
> example, a hyphen is showing up as E2,88,92 (that's the hex) and the
> apostrophe is E2,80,99.
>      LANG is currently set to en_US.UTF-8. I can get a temporary fix:
>           LANG=3DC bootparam | col -b > clean.txt
>      This gives me what I want for the moment but I'd like a more permane=
nt
> solution. I see the offending LANG setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and pre=
sume
> that's where I should change it (for a permanent fix).
>      But will I be shooting myself in the foot if I do so? What will brea=
k?

Ed,

I'm not certain what you're asking. Do you just want to change the behavior
for the man output or for all commands you run?

Half my boxen have some de_DE as the default. I need to do LANG=3Den_US in
front of commands that bork up i18n. Gnumeric, for instance, gets very, ver=
confuzalated.

If you just want to change the behavior of man once in a while write a
script or setup an alias.

That's what I suggest as I think we should be moving to i18nized
environments. UTF8 isn't the fix, but it's a great step in the right
direction.

Moving to en_US or C probably won't break anything. Maybe KDE or SuSE ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans