Red Hat 8.0 Installation Takes Way Too Long

Ernie L. Bérriz plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:08:49 -0700

I am attempting to install my first Linux system, Red Hat 8.0, from a boxed
set. I was doing the text-based installation, taking my time to make sure I
understood as much as possible for future reference, and everything seemed
to be going fine, except for the fact that after 6 hours of installing the
RPMs, the installation counter showed it still had 10 hours to go.

I have read all the documentation I could get my hands on, searched the Red
Hat site, as wells as googled for more information, all to no avail. I am
assuming this is not normal :)

My system is a Pentium-II running at 266-MHz with 640-MB of RAM, a 13-GB IDE
hard drive for the Linux system, and a CD-RW drive, from which I am
installing. It's not state-of-the-art, but it's well within the specs listed
by Red Hat in their Hardware Compatibility List. It also has been running
Windows 98 with no problems.

I was attempting to install it on the second drive (hdb or D:\, depending on
the OS), and using GRUB to choose the OS to boot. Drive C:\ still has
Windows 98 on it.

This is all the information I can think of that may be relevant to this
problem, but I will be glad to provide anything else that may help to
analyze this problem.

I would be extremely grateful for any assistance.

Ernie L. Bérriz
 Mesa, Arizona
  Fax:  509.752.6776
   Ernie_Berriz@qwest.net