Linux Program for Win2k Password recovery

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 13:11:30 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, AZ Pete wrote:

> A client of ours has a Dell server with Win 2000 Server loaded and they lost the admin password.
> The machine is still under warranty and I phoned Dell tech support hoping they would have some method of getting into
> the box.  They did not.
> However, the tech was VERY helpful.  He said there are programs available to reset a Win 2K admin passwords (neither
> are endorsed by dell).
> One was called Winternals ERD commander, but it costs $400-$500.
> He also said there is a free Linux program that boots via CD that resets the admin password.  He couldn't remember the
> name and I couldn't find anything via google.
>
> Has anyone heard of said Linux program?  If so, where can I get a copy.  Rebuilding this box will be a huge nightmare
> and spending $400 is not too palatable either.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Peter

That utility is great (I see someone already posted the recovery program),
however sometimes it doesn't work - and I haven't been able to determine
exactly what the failing factor(s) is/are.

If you're in a pinch and the server just has a single harddrive, you can
slap the harddrive in another windows nt/2k/xp machine and rename the sam
file to "sam.old" or similar.  Then put the drive back in, boot the
machine and login as administrator with no password. :-)

This can also be done with some raid systems, but it involves booting off
another device...

If I had a dollar for every time I had to rescue a locked-out windoze
box...