Newbie Server--Admin. Questions.

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:41:10 -0700

MCR wrote:
> =

> I have been using linux for a while new mostly as a
> work station and playing with it by setting up a home
> server.  Tomorrow I finally get DSL with a static IP
> addy, and I am going to have a web server.  All my
> experience before hand with linux is pretty much for
> programming.  I may be asking a lot of questions for
> help during this process, but tomorrow I was going to
> start setting up the software.  On this server the
> only services I want is the http server, ftp, ssh, and
> email server.  So a few questions:
> =

> If I am only going to have these service, it the
> X-windows system needed to be installed?  As a newbie
> would there be a benifit for me to have X on there, or
> should I just not install it?  When I set up a home
> server 95% of my configuring was on the command line,
> so I have to imagine I could do with it.
> =

> Would it be recommend to have the network tools, like
> nmap and ping on the server?
> =

> Can/does the e-mail server go on the same box as the
> http server?
> =

>   I am going to be using Slackware as the O/S, the
> Apache as the http server.  The others I have not
> decided.
> =

>   I am open to other advice, and I would appreciate
> any help.
> =

>                          Mike
> =

First off, I must echo Kevin's comments, and Thomas' comment about using
Red Hat.  =

Another benefit to using RH is that you can use the up2date program to
keep your box patched on a daily basis.  Onne caveat here is up2date
will update your kernel for you, which requires a reboot to take
effect.  It won't reboot for you (probably a good thing).  When it does
update your kernel, you need to reboot.

I was in charge of a data center that had Apache, QMail, ws-ftp, and
mySQL all on the same box (50+ copies of them), so yes it can be done. =

The downside is if the mail server gets real busy, it will affect the
web server.  Also, it is not very secure - if you lose a hard drive, you
lose all services, instead of just one or two.

When you set up the server, lock it down.  Here's a handy checklist:
http://www.georgetoft.com/linux/security/locking/checklist.shtml

Here are some more self-plugging links:
http://www.georgetoft.com/articles/hawaiianharddrive/200103/index.shtml
http://www.georgetoft.com/articles/hawaiianharddrive/200104/index.shtml
http://www.georgetoft.com/articles/hawaiianharddrive/200105/index.shtml

and to top it all off:
http://www.georgetoft.com/security/index.shtml

And, like Thomas said, ask questions along the way.

Cheers,

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!