exim config

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 26 May 2003 09:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > Make sure your hostname is fully qualified and correct (like
> > host.valid.domain.foo but actually resolves).
>
> I used to think that too.. but I've noticed that when I use cox.net as

You removed my other option.

> a smarthost, my mail gets sent with a completely bogus address (but
> valid IP).  I wonder if they only check the validity of the hostname if
> the domain is valid.  If the domain is clearly a local one (line
> "linuxdomain" or "localhost") than maybe (and this is just supposition)
> they only check the IP address.

A mail server shouldn't be ran without a valid FQDN.

On 24 May 2003, Bart Garst wrote:

> I'm not sure _how_ to make sure my hostname is fully qualified and
> resolves. I can `ping necgate` and it resolves to my internal IP (it's a
> firewall/router). Should it resolve to the external IP?

Probably.

You should use the domain name (for your outgoing emails) that you expect
to work for receiving email back.

Since your email address is @cox.net, I assume that "cox.net" is the
hostname you want.

> The qualify_domain setting was set to 'necgate' by `base-config` when I
> got the system running. Should I set the primary_hostname to cox.net?

Set qualify_domain to "cox.net".

Another alternative is to use the hostname that maybe cox provides you. Do
a reverse lookup on your real IP.

> I hate asking stupid questions but I've not found any answers in the
> documentation.

Exim's documentation is very good and very long.

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Try this: comment out the qualify_domain and primary_hostname settings.
>   They should look like this:
>
> # qualify_domain =
> # primary_hostname =

This will be the same, because exim gets this information from the system
if not defined. In his case, the hostname is wrong (at least for running
a MTA).

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Bart Garst wrote:

> The options I have enabled in the "main configuration section" are:

> Do you see anything that looks wrong?

Set qualify_domain.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/