exim config

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 May 2003 23:13:06 -0700

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 08:35 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On 24 May 2003, Bart Garst wrote:
>
>>   SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<bks@necgate>
>> SIZE=1431:
>>   host smtp.west.cox.net [68.6.19.4]: 553 necgate.cox.net does not
>> exist
>>
>> The part confusing me is the "necgate.cox.net". Necgate is the name of
>> my machine. What did I miss that allowed this error?
>
> It is their anti-spam setup.
>
> Make sure your hostname is fully qualified and correct (like
> host.valid.domain.foo but actually resolves).

I used to think that too.. but I've noticed that when I use cox.net as
a smarthost, my mail gets sent with a completely bogus address (but
valid IP).  I wonder if they only check the validity of the hostname if
the domain is valid.  If the domain is clearly a local one (line
"linuxdomain" or "localhost") than maybe (and this is just supposition)
they only check the IP address.

Kurt Granroth