Solaris

Thomas Cameron plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 May 2003 23:58:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <Robert.Wultsch@asu.edu>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2003 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: Solaris

> I have not taken delivery yet but I am getting excited. I understand tht
it is
> a single cpu 200 Mhz chip.

Wow!  Very cool, you have a fast box.

> Can you install an os on sun machines the same way
> you install on x86? Or is it in some fugly apple-like manner?

When you boot, you need to hit the Stop key plus the "a" key (that's the
letter a).  Then, at the ok prompt, you type 'boot cdrom' and you do the
install just like you would on an i386 machine.

> Is solaris 9 like linux that it can run on anything (no matter how slow),
or is
> it like windows that I would take a major speed hit with the upgrade?

Sol 9 runs quite nicely on the Sparc 20, especially with a Ross chip (which
is what I am betting you have).  It's well worth playing with it, since it's
free and can be valuable experience.

--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Cameron Technical Services, Inc.