(Fwd) [IP] MS Windows Crash Traps Thai Politician in Car

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 May 2003 14:02:54 -0400

George

Actually, I think that faulty software HAS killed people.  I've heard of at
least one case (possiblly two) in which X-ray-like machines malfunctioned due
to software and a few patients were give overdoses,  which I think was fatal
in some cases.  I also heard that the company was not sued because of their
EULA.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the device or the company or
the specifics, but I'm pretty sure I read this in an online article.  If
anybody out there has the specifics, let me know.   (Or if I later remember
where I read it, I'll post the link.) Anyway, it's ironic because all
medically-related software goes through a very stringent certification
processes with the FDA.  Does this mean they were not stringent enough, or
that, as I like to argue, that the government isn't competent to determine
issues like medical product safety?

I just don't think professional licensing works.  We've all heard the horror
stories of totally incompetent doctors and lawyers being shielded from public
scrutiny by the medical boards that were supposed to be disciplining them.
There was an outcry, and many state agenencies (especially Arizona's
notoriously inept Board of Medical Examiners) have become much stricter, but
how long will this last?  Private, third-party voluntary certification is a
better idea.  While no system is perfect, this would give the public some
measure of protection without giving the government power to restrict
competition or stifle innovation.  And I'd bet my last dollar that free
software would be one of the first things to go under a system that licensed
software developers.

Vaughn