Any linux programmers out there?

Sun, 25 May 2003 02:50:48 -0700 (MST)

Am 16. May, 2003 schw=E4tzte Craig White so:

> I have a rather interesting situation with a client of mine. They are a
> non-profit mental health provider - the Executive Director is Ray Grey
> <mailto:r.grey@tobyhouse.com> I have included him in the distribution of
> this email.
>
> Anyway, I think he agrees with me that the best path for a non-profit
> corporation to go is open source/free software and he does have a
> die-hard Windows guy as president of the board of directors.
>
> Apparently the issue comes down to his belief that there aren't any
> Linux programmers around. Imagine that!

This is one of the reasons I'd like PLUG to have a page about Free Software
projects we're involved with.

Kevin gets paid by Red Hat to work on gdb. Kurt used to get paid by SuSE
to work on KDE. Deepak, Matt, Johnnie, and Dave get paid by Monta Vista to
work on or test kernel development. We have others like Derek and GNUe or
Carl and Mozilla working on Free Software projects on their own or on a
consultancy basis as well.

I'd also like a page about other contributions such as people who are on
documentation or testing teams for Free Software projects.

We also have people doing internal development for companies using Free
Software such as GNU/Linux. I'd like a page about local companies that are
doing that. We had a few get mentioned at the last development meeting. Plu=
the presenter, Rob, does Linux development for Hitachi ( that's what the
presentation was about :). Then there's also Adtron, which hosted the
meeting, which does some work based on Linux. The next presentation will be
Deepak, who, as I already mentioned, is doing kernel work for Monta Vista.

Finally, as the CEO of AZOTO ( non-profit dedicated to promoting the use an=
development of Free Software in .az.us, and primarily focused on other
non-profits and educational institutions ), I'd like to talk to Ray about
how we can help. I'm still on vacation through the end of the month, but
I'll make time to see him if he's open to working with us.

> I told him that there were many Linux programmers around and if I put
> the word out on just one mail list (PLUG), that he would likely be
> inundated with people, capable and willing and most likely resumes. I
> can't guarantee that anyone will get a programming assignment...it may
> ultimately end up at an over priced Windows integrator.

Announcing on PLUG can also get the word out to ASULUG, AZPHP, the Perl
Mongers, and other groups that might be interested.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw