Any linux programmers out there?

Alexander Henry plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:19:59 -0700

Craig White wrote:

>Apparently the issue comes down to his belief that there aren't any
>Linux programmers around. Imagine that!

I am a Linux programmer, AND I'm free, as I've freshly graduated from
ASU with a master's in Computer Science...  yesterday.  :-)  Sending
resume off-list, PLUG has already seen it.

I graduated with my first degree in Computer Science in 1997 from UNLV.
That means I was studying from 1992 to 1997, a range of dates that spans
before and after the Great Internet Explosion.  If you read Eric Steven
Raymond's "A Brief History of Hackerdom",
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/hacker-history/hacker-history.html , you
might understand how I and everyone on this list percieve the industry
of computer programming.  My one-sentence spin on it is: from the
perspective of programmers, Microsoft is an anomoly, not mainstream, to
the industry.  A thorn in the side that we have to salve before we get
real work done.  Yes, CNN and Wall Street says that they are
mainstream.  Those reporters and brokers really know their computers,
don't they?  Yes lots of schools offer MSCE's and lots of MSCE's are out
there.  Those little private colleges are genuinely interested in the
well-being and employability of  their students, aren't they?

--Alexander