Professional licensing - Was: Is there anything we can do as a group about SCO ?

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 May 2003 07:58:44 -0400

Wow, looks like I"ve started a flame war!! :-)

I took the EIT test myself in 1980, with some trepidation, as I was already a
libertarian back then.  I expressed my concerns to a professor, who got a bit
angry and said, "You don't want a bunch of interlopers coming in to the
profession!"

I'm in the IEEE and several (but by no means all) of the members of our group
have PE certification.  I'm not against it if it's a voluntary thing,
something you do to get a "PE" after your name.  Here in Arizona it's pretty
much that way, but in other states - noticeably California - it's pretty
difficult to practice at all without it.

Furthermore, unlike a lot of the messagers in this thread, I'm all for
voluntary free-enterprise certifications.  Never had the time or necessity to
get one myself, but I'm glad it's out there.

Medical, avionics, and other life-critical applications are a sticky wicket,
but I'd say the important thing there is certifying the process, not the
designers.  Even the best developers can produce crap if there's no good
process in place.  And no, I don't think the government should regulate even
that directly.  Free market organizations like Underwriters Laboratories do a
better job.   In that case, if you don't get your device certified, and it
fails and kills people (as an X-ray machine did a while back) you get your
tush sued off.

And finally - if it's not about control, why have governments taken the
liberty of denying and suspending professional licenses for a whole host of
non-professional-related reasons?  If you have a dispute with your ex-spouse
about child support payments, you don't get due process of law.  You have to
pay up of the state yanks your license (making it even harder to fulfill your
obligations!)  Same goes for traffic tickets and other disputes with the
authorities.

The scariest thing of all is that "political correctness" is becoming a
necessity for profoessional licensing.  You may have heard of the Illinois
nutcase a few years back who went on a rampage, killing minorities at random.
 The guy had gone to school to be a paralegal, and the state had denied him a
license to practiced because of his "white supremacist" views.  Being denied
the opportunity of working "within the system"  may have been part of what
made the guy snap.

Oops, and I almost forgot another argument.  Licensing won't stop the export
of jobs, because India will just put it's own licensing program in place, and
we'll probably be required to recognize their credentials under the WTO.  Or
maybe we'll do a bilateral agreement if the Feds want to piss off Pakistan
for some reason.

Just my dollar-and-two cents
Vaughn Treude

P.S.  Please don't take any of this  personal - I love to argue politics!  :-)