Is there anything we can do as a group about SCO ?

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 May 2003 11:49:30 -0700

SAIR is bad news, they have tried (unsuccessfully for the most part) to
undermine the community effort since the beginning.

I was involved with the LPI effort from the beginning, while I was with
Linuxcare I hired Dan York so he could work on LPI and make it a
reality. Linuxcare (when it had money and cared about Linux) was a
platinum level supporter, besides the direct support of Dan they ponied
up a check for some fairly big bucks.

SAIR worked very hard to slow down and eliminate LPI from the very
beginning. The bias shows and they are losing ground quickly.

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 11:21, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> David Mandala said:
> > On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 10:40, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > [snip]It depends on who does the licensing.  For example MCSE, CCNA,
> > RHCE are
> >> all bad in my book because they are promoted directly by a company
> >> that is licensing only to get people with certs so that they can sell
> >> more products.
> >>
> >> A+ certification which is far more neutral or SAIR certification are
> >> much less biased.  The problem I see today with licensing efforts is
> >> that they are corporate driven.

Yes you did say A+ what I should have said was "had you said A+ and LPI"
instead of "A+ and SAIR" you would have been more correct.

SAIR is nothing but corporate profit driven, they care nothing about the
Linux community nor Linux and only how to make a buck off of the Linux
community's collective backs.

I guess I'm a bit touchy about SAIR, I was there in the beginning and I
saw how they came together and how they could have helped the community
and what they did instead.

> > Actually had you said A+ or LPI (Linux Professional Institute) you would
> > have been more correct, however the SAIR cert only exists to sell their
> > training programs, it is not a neutral cert by any means though they
> > push it that way for sure.
>
> I did say A+.  I get LPI and SAIR mixed up all the time.  While SAIR is
> selling its training, its not 'vendor' biased (best I can tell).  I
> definitely should have listed LPI.

[snip]

Cheers,

Davidm

--
David IS Mandala
gpg fingerprint 8932 E7EF CCF5 1B8C 1B5C A92E C678 795E 45B2 D952