linux on compaq LTE 5100

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 May 2003 09:29:11 -0400

Dan,
I struggled with a Compaq for a while, and eventually got Mandrake 9.1
installed.  I don't know if your problem is the same - in my case, it was
because the IDE chipset wasn't compatible with the older versions of the 2.4
kernel.  Even though they'd supposedly fixed these problems in 2.4.20 or 21,
I still couldn't install, until I found the correct switches.  At the first
install screen it says to press a key for more options - maybe it's Enter, I
don't recall - and then you can enter startup options on the command line.
For me, the following options worked:  alt0 nousb nomce noauto
Normally, the first parameter would be "linux", because that's what you're
installing, but in this case alt0 must be some sort of alias.  I got this
info from the following web site:
http://www.geocities.com/thaweesakb/linux.html
Your mileage may vary.  If this doesn't work, I recall seeing other sites
where other tinkerers had found other switch options; but none of those
worked for me.  Just do a google search on "Compaq LTE 5100" and "Linux
install" or something similar.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.

For the Mandrake 9.1 install, the switches were: 'alt0 nousb nomce noauto'.