how to patch this?

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 08 May 2003 22:04:13 -0700

> ok, great.
>
> i did as said and the output was some "succeeded", some "rejected" --and I
> have an output file called "orinoco.h.rej".
>
> "make config" wants my kernel source and I don't seem to have it under
> /usr/src/* .
>
> How do I get it and what version should I download--the one for my current
> kernel (2.4.2-2)?  I don't see it at rpmfind.net or google.

>>>Using RH 7.1.
>>>
>>>I want to install/patch my orinoco drivers as specified here:
>>>http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html
>>>
>>>I guess the actual code in the patch is here:
>>>http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinoco-09b-packet-1.diff.
>>>
>>>I have no idea what to do with this code?  Do I just copy and
>>
>>paste it into
>>
>>>a .c file or what?  Would someone walk me through what to do with this?
>>>This is alien!
>>
>>It's about to get more so.
>>
>>The diff needs to be applied to a certain version of pcmcia-cs,
>>so first you
>>need to get pcmcia-cs (pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net).
>>
>>cd /usr/src
>>tar -xvzf /path/to/pcmcia-cs-xxxxx.tar.gz
>>cd pcmcia-cs-version-number
>>patch < /path/to/orinoco-09b-packet-1.diff
>>make config
>>make all
>>make install
>>
>>That gets you the gist.  I don't guarantee that those are the
>>only steps you'll
>>need.  I'm running RH8, but have to rebuild the kernel myself
>>since the kernel
>>pcmcia support doesn't work with my laptop.

Two things.  Make sure you are using the correct version of pcmcia-cs for that
diff (in the case of the 09b patch it's version pcmcia-cs-3.1.33, the 13b patch
needs 3.2.1).  Second, to get your kernel source look on the RH cds for
kernel-source-2.4.2-2.xxxx.rpm.

If you got rejected hunks, then you will need to rectify those before you can
proceed with compiling since that means not all of the patch successfully
applied.  The .rej files tell you what hunks of data didn't work.