Hewlet Packard ZE4145 laptop

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 May 2003 17:22:05 -0700

As I recall, the latest version of Mac-on-Linux only supported OS9 apps.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Ted
Gould
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 11:44 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Hewlet Packard ZE4145 laptop

> I'm not sure I follow you here.  I like OSX because I can run
> commercial mac software AND all my linux software - hell if I wanted
> I could fire up VPC and run *gasp* Windows software too.  How are X
> apps second class citizens?  X11 runs nicely in OSX, and you can call
> your X apps from the command line or from within the X11 app by a
> simple mouse click.

Well, if you consider that fine - then why not fire up Mac-on-Linux and
you can run all your Mac OS apps on Linux?  It's the same thing, the X11
apps aren't entirely integrated into everything the way Mac OS apps
are.  I think by saying "from within the X11 app" you've acknowledged
that they aren't first class citizens in the Mac OS world.

> So you can run Linux and all your linux software, but now you're
> locking yourself out of some REALLY nice OSX apps (iTunes, iMovie,
> mail.app, iChat, etc).  I'm too addicted to the OSX apps now because
> they 'just work'.   Kind of like running stable tree linux apps.

'just working' is important, but I think that for the most part Linux is
pretty much there now.  I think with GNOME 2.x on the desktop a lot of
those issues have been fixed.  Not all of them, but many off them.  I
would say that printers and drivers are noticeable exceptions (except on
Mac hardware where there aren't that many drivers).

As far as the Apps you mentioned, I like the Linux versions better.
iTunes is nice, but Rhythmbox plays OGGs too.  iChat is nice, but GAIM
supports several different IM protocols and encryption over all of
them.  mail.app is nice, but I can never have a mail client without
virtual folders again, I'm addicted to Evolution.

Basically it all comes down to the Apps.  I like my Linux apps, and some
of them have warts, but many have key features that I use on a daily
basis.  If I'm going to use all Linux apps on Mac OS X all I get is
shadows behind the windows (which is really cool).

> If you're going to run linux on PPC, yes Yellowdog is definately the
> distro of choice.  Nice!

Don't tell the Debian guys that ;)

		--Ted