sshd basics

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 May 2003 17:09:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 5 May 2003, eric wrote:

> Yeah, if routing were the problem, why could I not login to the localhost?
> Routing would not affect that, right?

But a packet filter could.

> I would be happy to check my logs, but could ya'll tell me where to look?

Under /var/log/. Maybe /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog. Have a look
at your sshd_config and your syslog config. The default is auth.info. And
also look for auth.debug. The actual files depend on your sshd
configuration and your psyslogd configuration.

Usually many/most versions of sshd will report the tcpwrappers issue
via the -d debugging. (This has hit me many times on many hosts using
various operating systems.)

Hopefully, that is all it is; so try in /etc/hosts.allow:
sshd: ALL : ALL

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/