Whats with X

Fri, 2 May 2003 15:57:58 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. May, 2003 schw=E4tzte Rob Wultsch so:

> Isn't x-window-system something like 50+ megs?
>
> And what I meant by implementing x in the kernel is having just the very
> basic x... This would make transitions for mcse's much easier.

There are very basic reasons for not having X in the kernel. Linux boxen
don't generally crash. OSen with the GUI in the kernel do. There *is* a
direct correlation.

There are mini-X projects that are gaining in popularity. Also the XFree86
project, I'm told, is undergoing some shake up and will probably emerge as =
leaner, more functional beast.

As for space, it's a bit bloated, but not too bad. It's not taking up near
as much space as my ogg collection, for instance :).

An example mini-setup is my iPAQ getting an OS, including X, in about 15 or
16 MB.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  I've got a photographic memory,
#  but I'm lousy photographer. - der.hans