Whats with X

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 May 2003 15:57:37 -0700

On Friday 02 May 2003 3:46 pm, Rob Wultsch wrote:
> Isn't x-window-system something like 50+ megs?

=09Yes.

> And what I meant by implementing x in the kernel is having just the ver=
> basic x... This would make transitions for mcse's much easier.

=09The very design core of the X Windowing System precludes the inclusion=
 you=20
discuss, as well as the design of the kernel.  The kernel is designed to =
be=20
the smallest, lightest, best core of what Linux is.  The X windowing syst=
em=20
is *very* superfluous, especially when it comes to servers and designed t=
o=20
run on TOP of the kernel, so that an X crash does not mean a kernel crash=
=2E =20
These MCSEs you discuss may be used to a graphical problem causing a kern=
el=20
panic, but I for one would never put up with it.

=09Thrusting the GUI on MCSE's or anyone is crippling a lot of the power =
that=20
Linux can offer them and would be a disservice.  At least that is my opin=
ion.

--=20
Kyle Faber
Account Manager
EMR Internet
kyle@emr.net
623-581-0842 voice
623-582-9499 fax

**EMR Internet - Residential & Business Solutions for YOUR business! **

* Dial-up
* DSL
* Web-hosting
* Server Co-Location