X sync rate

Deepak Saxena plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 May 2003 15:27:46 -0700

On May 02 2003, at 15:16, der.hans was caught saying:
> moin, moin,
>
> it's been a while since I've even thought about X config and I haven't
> figured this one out.
>
> Someone I know has a monitor that he swears is at something like 60 Hz. I
> actually trust him to be correct.
>
> He's mucked his X config to try to take away the bottom range, but hasn't
> been able to get a higher refresh rate.
>
> Anyone know how to peg a refresh rate or enforce a minimal refresh rate?

Minimal or maximum? 60Hz is pretty damn slow and if that's the max
it can do, pushing it too high could hurt the monitor.

> This is on XFree86 4.2. Red Hat.

When you run XConfigurator or whatever the RH equivalent is, you
should be able to tell it that you have a "generic" monitor
which is basically the entry for a cheap 60Hz monitor or just
tell it have custom monitor and you should be able to force it
to 60.

/me recollects writing custom dot clock lines many moons ago

~Deepak

--
In America, you are free to speak your mind as long as you agree
with the majority opinion.