ISO copies of DVDs; DMCA

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:01:17 -0700

Yes, it is, but I was simply suggesting that the owners would have
little reason to enforce their rights on this particular case.

If they did want to create a work in the public domain, however, I would
recommend this site: http://www.creativecommons.org .

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of George
Toft
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 11:31 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: ISO copies of DVDs; DMCA

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, David Huerta wrote:
>
> > Seeing how it has not been released to the public, I doubt MTV or
any of
> > the publishers involved would care; they wouldn't be losing any
money if
> > the materials were copied, because they wouldn't be making money
anyway,
> > like my copy of the unreleased Invader Zim soundtrack.
>
> Just because something hasn't been released to the public doesn't mean
> that it is public domain or freely distributable. (By default, it is
> probably copyrighted.)
>
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

By default, material is subject to enjoying copyright protection as soon
as it is set into a tangible media, even if the copyright statement is
missing.  Lack of copyright statement limits the remedies available (to
usually an injunction).

Positive action is required to put something into the Public Domain such
as a statement indicating the work is PD - lack of action still makes it
copyrighted.

George
--
Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <...> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security