X11 hell

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:13:32 -0700

I don't remember the beginning of the thread, but your machine is
booting into X and you want it to boot to console until you get the X
business working?

Since you said woody, you mean debian, which presumably means you are
booting into runlevel 2 which runs XDM/GDM/KDM.  Same for runlevel 3 as
it turns out (as I recall).

So, to keep it from booting directly into X:
1.) Let it boot like normal
2.) Once you have broken X running switch to console (CTRL+ALT+F2)
3.) Log in as root
4.) type "runlevel" to see what runlevel you are in
5.) cd to /etc/rc#.d/ where # is the runlevel from above
6.) delete any links to things like S80xdm or S82gdm or S84kdm
     (what numbers they are doesn't matter just the ?dm part)
7.) check /etc/rcS.d for the same guys and remove

Basically I cant remember where they were because I deleted them :)

There might be some nifty debianesque way of accomplishing this, but I
am new to debian so I am not familiar with the installation tools
specific to it.

Austin