Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conferenc e?)

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:46:37 -0700

>>Actually, I see all of this as being a good opportunity for ASULUG to
>>help people properly administer their machines.  This is a possible task
>>for me to take up in the future.
>

> I've pushed for it for a number of years :).
>
> Working with UNUG I think ASULUG could definitely make a difference. Maybe
> we could finally get all those SunOS 4.1.3 boxen out of there :).

Replacing the machines costs money and money is in short supply for things like
"unnecessary" system upgrades.  When I last worked at Datacomm, money was so
short they were trying to resurrect about a half-dozen SparcStation 5 and 10
machines and run SunOS 5.9 on them to replace other aging machines that had been
doing certain tasks uninterrupted for quite a while (dial-in modem statistics,
dhcp pool utilizations, tacacs, etc...).  I wasn't able to resurrect them to run
5.9 (mostly due to hard drive size and having been EOL prior to SunOS 5.8).
Datacomm couldn't afford new drives (even just 2GB SCSI drives) to upgrade them,
so I doubt that a new box could have been bought to replace them (even just an
Intel desktop running Linux).