Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conferenc e?)

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:59:12 -0700

This thread is really diverging but ...

You have to admit that you have found many instructors that either
focused on teaching or did an excellent job teaching while also
contributing heavily to research.  However, some people suck at teaching
regardless of whether or not they participate in research.

I am not sure I understand your comment about private research.  If you
mean a public university should not be doing research it should only be
teaching, then I think you terribly mistaken (as far as ASU is
concerned, ask the president what the universities mission is).  If you
specified private to mean non public, then you don't understand who
funds the research.  I think it is safe to say that 80% of the research
(at least at ASU) comes from the Federal Government (DOE, NSF, DOD, etc).

I can't believe that receiving external funding leads to a rise in
costs.  ASU takes 50% of much of what gets spent from a federally funded
grant.  If anything in this state has contributed to a rise in education
costs (instate tuition was just raise 40% ... forty!!!!) I would point
my finger at the state's budget situation (I won't begin speculating here).

There are many problems in university education, but research as a whole
is not one of them.  I am not saying that there are not individual cases
where say a professor doesn't care about his classes and only wories
about his research.  That does happen.  But people do a bad job at their
jobs for other reasons too.

Austin