Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conferenc e?)

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:24:00 -0700

You point out one of the biggest problems in the university education system today.  Each professor having his/her own fiefdom.  A public university should be orientated towards teaching students not doing private research.  Unfortunately this is not the case and is a big actor in the decline in education and the rise in costs.  I have 2 degrees and over 250 credits so I've been around the system a bit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Godber [mailto:godber@uberhip.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:56 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU
Conferenc e?)

Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> On all the networks I've been part of ranging in size from 20 to 250 machines, no one has been allowed to connect a machine that was not company issue without the IT directors approval.  This has included remotely connection through VAN or Citric.  All remote machines have been required to have firewall and current anti virus software.  None of our users have been geek enough to even know what Linux is let alone have enough technical know how to use it.  We do run about 6 or 7 Linux servers but no Linux workstations.

Well, ASU has about 50,000 people come to main campus every day and
probably about 30,000 computers (this is a guess, I really don't know
but we have at least 2 Class B networks).  Sheer size of course
eliminates the possibility of a single individual controlling every
computer on campus.  Of course a heirarchy of beuracracy can take this role.

HOWEVER (here is the important point), ASU has little to do with the
selection and purchase and administration of many of these machines for
one very simple reason.  This reason being, unlike a corporate network,
the money to PAY for many of the machines does not come from the
organization that owns the network.  Research computers are paid for by
grants that come from the federal government who pays professors to do
research.  So, typical politics aside, each professor has his own little
fiefdom due to the fact that he has established some independance by
drawing outside investment.

So, ASU IT, ETS, and DATACOM are pretty much in a tough position.  They
don't do a bad job, ,but sometimes projects a little misguided.  So, I
guess you would have to imagine running a network where you have little
to say about what people do on it.  Obviously, they can shut down
anything that is really causing trouble.

Austin