kernel compiles - help

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:16:43 -0500

"der.hans" wrote:
> =

> Am 22. Feb, 2003 schw=E4tzte George Toft so:
> =

> > The problem was that I had the filesystem drivers (ext3) loaded as a
> > module and not built into the kernel.  Doooh!
> =

> And you weren't making an initrd.
> =

> ciao,
> =

> der.hans

That was not in the instructions.  I eventually found a site that
discussed mkinitrd, but SuSE Linux 8.1 complained about that (that was
over a week ago - I have since forgotten the error message - something
about not finding the root filesystem?).

I've resolve that problem, and have compiled two similar MOSIX kernels
for two different hardware configurations.  The first kernel took me a
week to finally compile and load (I spent a day fighting a LILO issue
that I thought was a kernel problem - strange how a 1 year old version
of LILO won't load a 2.4.19 kernel because the "EBDA was too big").  The
second took me a day.

George