Mail Scanning and Anti Virus

D Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:44:37 -0700

We have an ISP. I have been experimenting with clam antivirus and have
been quite pleased with the results but the performance is pretty
terrible for our needs due to our mail volume. I can't qualify its
effectiveness for virus outbreaks as it hasn't been around to see any
live yet, but it did work for several test cases I threw at it with the
common outlook worms. I suspect that for a home or small office (<30
user or 100 boxes) it would work very well. We use a modified
qmail-toaster package set available from qmailtoaster.clikka.com .

It includes in the rpms qmail-scanner which you can connect to clam
antivirus or amavis for that matter. Clam has autoupdates but I think
you still need to set that up separately. Config still needs to be done
because the defaults don't work for all the distros they support.
Overall though I have to say I am incredibly pleased with the elegance
of the setup.

If you have are using an intel eepro nic email for some patches to qmail
to fix some known issues with that.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50KM Inc.