Fw: Attack of the Killer RIAA FUD App (Was Re: know people in .ut.us?)

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:01:29 -0700

Bill Lindley wrote:

> A great part of the indifference to illegally copying commercial
> software stems from the scofflaw attitude perpetuated by speeding on our
> roadways.
> There is no reason that if 99% of cars on I-10 are speeding, that every
> one of them should not get a ticket.  I'd like to see magnetic loops and
> cameras used for this purpose -- one every mile.  Send those speeders a
> hefty ticket at the end of the month and we could reverse the State
> deficit... Maybe I should write my Senator...
>
> But seriously, it is the law.  Just because "everyone does it" doesn't
> make it safe, or right.
>
> Same with installing one CD of Windows on ten computers at the office.
>
> We with principles have to explain to our clients that we simply can't
> support them unless they abide by Microsoft's usurous license terms.
> That's the only way they will understand the cost and time savings of
> Free Software.
>
> \\/
>
> p.s., I've even been told I should get a ticket if I'm the only driver
> on the road obeying the speed limit.  These must be the folks who want
> to criminalize Linux.

I've never heard of the cops giving tickets to the rare driver doing the speed
limit.  I have, however, heard of them pulling people over and giving them a
warning for being an obstruction to the flow of traffic.

The problem with automated ticket systems is the lack of proof that who you are
sending the ticket to is actually the person who was driving.  That is why those
photo radar vans have yet to be profitable.  All you have to prove is that it
wasn't you driving when the picture was taken, you don't have to help them find
the one who was.