Kernel 2.4.21

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
18 Jun 2003 06:11:55 -0700

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 00:08, der.hans wrote:
> Am 17. Jun, 2003 schwätzte Richard L. Proctor so:

> > > ----
> > > dunno about SuSE
> > >
> > > RedHat most assuredly doesn't 'uninstall' any kernels - that bungling is
> > > left entirely to the user.
> >
> > SuSE keeps the previous kernel configuration as well.  I have no don't know
> > where they get these ideas.
>
> I've updated kernels on SuSE and RedHat recently. For both dists the new
> kernel ( different kernel version ) conflicted with the installed kernel and
> wanted the installed kernel removed prior to installing.
>
> Maybe I was misusing rpm.
------
indeed - a little knowledge is very dangerous in this case...

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.xx-xx

as opposed to

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.xx-xx

-i install creates the new kernel/modules in the correct spot and
updates grub/lilo to reflect the addition...

-U update creams your setup and tries to replace existing kernel/modules
with new and for the most part will render a system unbootable.

Again...this applies to RedHat / dunno about SuSE

Craig