Kernel 2.4.21

Alexander Henry plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:54:23 -0700

liberty Young wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 15:59, Miles Beck wrote:
>

>>>apt-get update && apt-cache search ^kernel-image-2.4.2
>>>

>>The problem with using apt-get is that I do not have a working network adapter
>>when running Linux. This is a dual boot system and I am trying to upgrade the
>>kernel in hopes that the adapters (network and sound) will work.

Well then, boot up your winblows box and go to

http://www.kernel.org

on the line with 2.4.21, click on "V".

Then load up
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Kernel-HOWTO.html
and
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/LILO.html

Put these two files in a place where your Debian box can reach it.
Switch to Debian and have a go.

This was my method for upgrading the kernel this time, minus the extra
farking around as I have a working network.  It confused me a bit, as
the kernel-howto did change since last time, but it worked.

BTW, if your network is not responsive, I don't know if upgrading a
kernel will do it.  You need to find the right driver for your network
card.  This is a chore, and pretty much entails compiling a kernel with
ALL network drivers installed as modules, then when you have a system
booted, modprobe for each driver to see which ones work.  Then you can
recompile without all the extra drivers and hard-compile your driver in
the kernel only.  The netcard manufacturer's website and Google can help
you make this process more intelligent and therefore shorter, but that's
all you have to go on. When I was starting out, Red Hat and Mandrake
helped.  They have a menu driven selection process where you can try out
different modules to see which ones work.  But if you know modprobe,
they're doing the same thing in GUI.

--Alexander