Need Knoppix/Debian/KDE setup help

Mark Phillips plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:44:14 -0700

I installed Linux using the Knoppix 3.2 CD and I have a few mionor
problems. I hope someone can help!

1. Screen saver - The original installation only came with 2 screeen
savers - blank and random. After poking around I ended up doing an
apt-get install for xscreensaver 4.05. It seems to have installed ok - I
now have it as an option in the KDE control center along with blank and
random. When I click on setup, the dialog appears, and I can get it to
operate properly from here. However, when I leave the KDE control panel
(after selecting Xscreensaver and clicking on apply) and wait for the
Xscreensaver to work, all I get is a blank screen. How do I get
XScreensaver to work automatically? I can launch it from K - Debain -
Lock Screen as well.

2. How do I change the screen resolutions? I tried KDE Control Cen ter
-> Peripherals -> X display, but it does not do anything but display an
hour glass.

I must say, however, that this setup was much easier than either Redhat
7.2 or Mandrake 8.2, and almost everything worked out of the box (except
the above) The Knoppix hd install was fairly easy, althought the
installation questions need a little more explanation to make sense. It
is a good thing that I know enought German to get through the
installation, as I ended up with a German keybaord and computer after I
had selected English in the setup (probably cockpit error)! So far,
Debian and Apt-get are awesome.

Thanks!

Mark Phillips