Good Bye Linux

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:27:06 -0700

Wow, this is bound to rattle some cages!
I guess whether Linux is a "toy" depends on how much you "play" with it.
--Phil M.

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Achtenberg <TomA@fh.org>
To: Plug-Discuss (E-mail) <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: Good Bye Linux

> After several weeks of unsuccessful effort to install Linux on a desktop I
am giving up and returning to more profitable activities.  I have tried 3
different distributions (Mandrake 9.1, Red Hat 8.0 and Knoppix 3.2) all with
much hassle and no success.  Some on this list have alluded that I have a
hardware problem yet the same PC was rock solid on Windows 98 SE.  Last
night I installed Windows 2000 server on it with no problems whatsoever.
The evidence leads me to conclude that Linux has some small niche areas it
is good at, as a desktop OS it is simply not there.  Yes, if you are geeky
enough and have the time to spend editing config files by hand and
recompiling every app so it works on your machine it may be fun.  I need to
spend my time in more productive environments.  Using Dereks criteria when
he labeled FoxPro a "toy" database I have to say Linux is a "toy" OS.  Good
for specific narrow applications but run the whole enterprise on it?  No
way.