Good Bye Linux

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Bill Nash wrote:

>     I'm sorry Linux doesn't live up to your expectations, but I guess we
> should just be glad you didn't give *BSD a go. You'd probably give up on
> computing entirely, were that the case. As for OS's falling into

I've happily used NetBSD as my main desktop operating system for a few
years. Yes, in some cases it is harder to configure and use. But, in many
cases, it has been a lot easier too. For example, sound and CD recording
(on IDE-based CD writers) has been a lot easier than under Linux.

In fact, I like the BSD startup configurations and the NetBSD (and now
FreeBSD)  startup scripts so much, that I have built a new Linux distro
that uses the same ideas.

Of course, software like X, Apache, Postfix, et cetera, are almost always
configured the same. And for end-users: the differences (for same software
used) are mostly non-existent.

   Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I am biased: I'm teaching a BSD class in Phoenix next week.