Multiple OSes, 1 Mozilla profile?

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:52:07 -0700

> I wouldn't necessarily recommend roaming profiles as Liberty is
> suggesting - at least not right away because there are a lot of
> considerations for using roaming profiles that I'm not gonna start
> getting into here.

I have just had the recent pleasure of converting a Win2k domain to a
samba 2.2 domain with roaming profiles.  Things went smoothly with the
exception of roaming profiles.  (NOTE: we weren't using much of the
functionality of a win2k domain so it was possible for us to switch to
samba without loosing much functionality).  I screwed up about 5 things
in the process of ironing out the trouble with roaming profiles ... I
will point out a few of them:

o logon.bat was not readable by users thus the times between client and
server were not synchronized (a must for roaming profiles).

o profiles from old domain were not removed from existing client
machines and identical user names caused cross contamination of new
domain and old domain profiles (this was not thoroughly tested, but I
believe this to be the case, I believe there is a significant difference
in the handling of profiles in this situation by Windows and Samba)

In the end I was down to having two sets of machines ... identical Win2k
SP3 machines, very similar hardware (why would it matter) one set would
handle profiles properly and one would not push or pull profiles from
the server (actually would pull the first time if there was no
preexisting profile).  The only difference I noticed was that in the set
that didn't work the hostnames (in various places) were in CAPS and the
other lowercase.  However, network dumps of logons didn't reveal any
difference in the hostnames sent over the network (granted this was
rather error prone, inspecting these and since I am not familiar with
the protocols I could have missed lots of things).

In the end I reinstalled the Win2k OS to SP3 on the nonworking set of
hosts, typed the hostnames in lower case and they worked.

What am I trying to say? Other than getting that off my chest as if it
were some dark secret.  I think that roaming profiles probably work fine
under certain conditions (for instance if you built the network from the
ground up and were careful), but are a bit more trouble in other cases.

Austin

PS - sorry to stray off topic