Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:38:02 -0700 (GMT)

I don't mean to imply that older machine can't handle *nix.  My firewall at home is a 486-100 and I have installed on several older boxes.  I just mean that, in my experience, hardware issues occur more often on the older boxes.  A few years ago, some manufacturers were still using slightly odd or "mostly compatible" components that give an Open OS headaches.  You are more likely to encounter such "mostly compatible" issues with older boxes.

On the same line, perhaps "pushes" the hardware is the wrong term.  Maybe the *nix OSes require the hardware to follow standards and operate as documented and some hardware doesn't do this.

I'm not much of a gamer either.  Frozen-bubble is addicting though!

Alan

-------Original Message-------
From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Sent: 06/12/03 04:10 PM
To: "'plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us'" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: RE: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

I happily use and setup Linux and *BSDs on old 486-66, Pentium 166 and
other old under-powered systems. I rarely use KDE or GNOME on old systems,
because lighter-weight window managers, like IceWM and Blackbox work fine.

I don't agree that Linux pushes hardware more; it is more efficient, but
if you want you can take advantage of the hardware better.

(As for games and video cards, I don't know. I haven't had the chance to
play any "real" games under any OS.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/