CPU Speeds and Fry's E (OT)

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:45:43 -0700

I was wanting to build a new LTSP server so last week, I bought an AMD
Athlon XP 2200 (and MoBo) from Fry's Electronic. The Athlon XP 2200 is
supposed to run at 1.8 GHz.  However, while booting, the system shows the
CPU to be an Athlon 1500+.  Further, (booting under Knoppix) the Knoppix CD
shows it running (while booting) at 1344 MHz (1.344 GHz).

The MoBo somehow identifies the CPU and sets the clock rate accordingly.

Looking at the Setup Utility (CTRL + DEL while booting), in the "CPU PnP
Setup" section, everything is grayed out (including CPU Frequency) except
"CPU Speed".   The default CPU speed is 100/100.MHz.  Other options are
100/133, 133/133 and 166/133.  Could these have any bearing on the 1500+
issue?

Having noticed the above 1500+ v. 2200, I looked at some other boxes built
in the past.

Last month, I bought an AMD Athlon XP 2000 and MoBo from Fry's Electronic.
The MoBo somehow identifies the CPU and sets the clock rate accordingly.
The Athlon XP 2000 is supposed to run at 1.6 GHz.  While booting, the system
shows it to be running at 1250 MHz (1.25 GHz). Further, (booting under
Knoppix) the Knoppix CD shows it running (while booting) at 1244 MHz (1.244
GHz).

Some months ago I bought a 2.4 GHz P4 and motherboard from Fry's Electronic.
The MoBo somehow identifies the CPU and sets the clock rate accordingly.
Per Knoppix (CD) it runs at 1.8 GHz.

Am I misunderstanding or could it be that Fry's sells rejects?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

George Wayne Gambill ...  Registered Linux User: #311028