Email server

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:10:49 -0700

Tom,

It is my understanding that MS Exchange may well be the only MS offering
without an open source (free) replacement.  I haven't used any of these but
have been collecting information form others (mostly PLUG).  I am sure other
PLUGers with experience on a given package will be more than willing to add
input as you begin to focus on which ones might meet your needs.

For a fairly good intro, check out:
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10/03/2216217.shtml?tid=30

Here are some offerings.
Sun One server

Samsong's Contact (Samsung Open Mail)
http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/

Horde project <www.horde.org>

KDE is developing opensource alternative collaboration server at the behest
of the German government.

Bynari's "Insight Server" and the "Insight Connector for Outlook"
http://www.bynari.net/Life_After_Windows.pdf
http://www.bynari.net/whitepapers.html

SuSE Openexchange Server website:
www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/index.html

SuSE Openexchange Server is cheaper than Bynari Insight Server and much
cheaper than Microsoft Exchange.

However - if you have $$$ and want a good non-MS solution, you might want to
check out Oracle Collaboration Suite:
http://oracle.com/ip/deploy/cs/theme_pages/index.html?radicati_tco.html

"Communigate Pro" from stalker.com, but this product is still in beta
and has a number of holes left to be filled in.

Hope this helps