[phxjug-java] Help Wanted: Squashing JVM on Linux Bug

Chris McCabe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:17:52 -0700

This probably won't be much help, but just in case, ...

You are getting a segmentation violation (signal 11) which means you are
attempting to access protected memory.  Since you cannot do this in
Java, it is either:  1) a bug in the JVM,  2) buggy JNI code, or 3) a
bad configuration of shared libraries on your machine.

The best thing you can do is attempt to narrow down the problem as much
as possible.  Also make sure you can reproduce the problem on another
Linux box that is not identically configured and is presumably in a
stable configuration.

I would guess that it is not a bug in the JVM only because I have found
the Linux 1.4.1 JVM to be very stable, but if you can find no other
explanation, you should send it to Sun.  This won't help you much though.

Good luck,
Chris

--
Chris P. McCabe               - Principal Engineer
Choice Hotels International   - Information Systems